Cookie Notice

As far as I know, and as far as I remember, nothing in this page does anything with Cookies.

2010/10/15

Dimensions and the New Television

I saw this article from Maximum PC:
While 3D-enabled displays struggle to gain a foothold in mainstream living rooms, Internet-connected televisions are barging through the front door. According to market research firm WitsView, TVs with integrated NICs will balloon to 40 million units in 2010, or roughly 20 percent of the global LCD TV market.
That's a cool thing. I was told years ago on Twitter that I should get a Mac Mini and connect it to my TV. My initial attempt was to put a monitor on top of my TV and connect the audio out of a broken laptop to it. With Hulu and Netflix (and, in my house, That Guy With The Glasses), there's lots of net-available stuff that's set for the whole family to watch. Being broke, I used a broken laptop and moved up to a five-year-old tower rather than a new Mac with the footprint of a Sun IPC, but the ability to see our favorite shows on the big screen of the house still is there.

Which gets to the other thing.

I've tried 3D TVs at Best Buy. Are they dang cool? Yes. They are dang cool. Am I amazed that you can get 3D shots of football games? Yes. Am I going to get a set? Not likely.

Here's the thing. You get a TV, and it's crazy expensive and comes with 2 pairs of 3D glasses. I have five people in the family. I'd have to pay extra for three extra pairs, or more if I want people to come over and try it out. And, lets face it, watching TV in 3D while your friends watch the weird pre-formatted ugly stuff, that's just rude. If TV is for the whole family to watch together, then make it for the whole family to be able to watch together.

No comments:

Post a Comment